Under the Dutch occupation, an extremely large construction site was set up a few kilometres from Tavigny, in the village of Bernistap.
The plan was to link the Meuse river to the Moselle river by means of a long canal in order to carry goods by water. When Belgium declared independence in 1830, the Dutch left, along with their capital, and that was the end of the work. The area is now a very valuable archaeological site which was listed in 1978.
This walk is part of the Houffalize walking map available in our reception offices or can be ordered online at https://www.coeurdelardenne.be/shop
Pedestrian - Horizontal rectangle - Green